The purposes of this Association are to:
- The purposes of this Association are to:
- A. Promote and protect the interests, rights, and welfare of the retired educators of the Stevens Point area in conjunction with the Wisconsin Retired Educators’ Association (WREA).
- B. Monitor and work to improve the benefits for retired educators and other members of the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS).
- C. Encourage Association members to maintain membership in the Wisconsin Retired Educators’ Association (WREA).
- D. Develop working relationships with local service organizations whose main emphasis is on aging groups and with organizations sharing goals similar to those of the Association.
- E. Inform Association members about and advocate for educational and other relevant societal issues.
- F. Inform members of activities in the area provided for senior citizens.
- G. Encourage Association members to be active participants in community affairs on an individual basis.
Tuesday, January 17, 2017
Superintendent Craig Gerlach Speaks at January Meeting
The new superintendent of the Stevens Point Area Public Schools spoke to the membership at our January 9 meeting. He addressed the unique problems that the District faces and considers the compensation package to be a primary concern. As we're aware, it's difficult to attract and retain teachers in the political and economic environment of the current Wisconsin situation when the District has no compensation plan. When asked what we could do to help, he repeated the need for substitute teachers. He also informed us of a task force focusing on the physical needs and assets with the intention of creating a long-term plan for managing those assets. This likely will include a need for a referendum for necessary maintenance and improvements to physical plants. He was realistic but positive that the District has overcome the turmoil of the past years and in a good position to move forward.