The purposes of this Association are to:
- The purposes of this Association are to:
- A. Promote and protect the interests, rights, and welfare of the retired educators of the Stevens Point area in conjunction with the Wisconsin Retired Educators’ Association (WREA).
- B. Monitor and work to improve the benefits for retired educators and other members of the Wisconsin Retirement System (WRS).
- C. Encourage Association members to maintain membership in the Wisconsin Retired Educators’ Association (WREA).
- D. Develop working relationships with local service organizations whose main emphasis is on aging groups and with organizations sharing goals similar to those of the Association.
- E. Inform Association members about and advocate for educational and other relevant societal issues.
- F. Inform members of activities in the area provided for senior citizens.
- G. Encourage Association members to be active participants in community affairs on an individual basis.
Thursday, January 19, 2017
November Meeting: Better Late....
Honored at the November meeting were veterans Elbert Rackow, Jim Krems, Jerry Kasdorf, and David Crawford. An anonymous donor paid for their lunch and presented them each with a copy of America's White Table. The White Table is set in many mess halls as a symbol for and remembrance to service members fallen, missing, or held captive in the line of duty.
Jim Harris, former DC Everest teacher and principal, presented viewers with brochures, photos, and slides of his work in Laos helping to clear unexploded land mines and bombs left from the Vietnam War.
He has financed over a decade of this work with his own money, and now sells coffee raised by the Laotian people. He's opened a museum in Wausau to share his experience and the Laotian culture.
For information about his organization, go to wehelpwarvictims.org